- Evyenia Pappas, Room 116 EVYENIA_PAPPAS@dpsk12.org
- Matt Fisher, Room 105 Matthew_Fisher@dpsk12.org
- Julie Weathers, Room 106 Julie_Weathers@dpsk12.org
- Anna Beck, Room 115 Anna_Beck@dpsk12.org
Second graders continue their learning journey through the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme, where they are guided through exciting “Units of Inquiry.”
IB is guided by “inquiry,” which is defined as a search for knowledge. It moves students from their current level of understanding to a new and deeper level. The IB Primary Years Programme emphasizes the importance of students being inquirers. Through the units of inquiry, teachers are constantly encouraging curiosity. Lessons are developed in ways that allow students to wonder, ask questions and identify problems. Second graders are provided with opportunities to make connections between school learning and life outside of school. They also increase their awareness of themselves and the experiences of others.
The second grade units of inquiry are:
- How We Organize Ourselves – builds knowledge about how communities are designed to serve the needs of people living in them.
- How We Express Ourselves – visits literary classics from various cultures and explores the themes and morale messages in storytelling.
- Sharing the Planet – digs in to habitats: the living and non-living components working together.
- How the World Works – focuses on scientific inquiry into forces and motion.
- Who We Are– examines the role nutrition and physical activity play in our wellbeing/health
- Where We Are In Place In Time – presents a ton of information about different weather and climate conditions and how we prepare for severe weather.
Check out the 2nd Grade Timeline 17-18.
The Primary Years Programme ensures that all learning is significant, relevant, engaging and challenging. Your child can reflect on the connections between life in school, life at home and life in the world. By helping your child make these connections and see that all learning is connected to life, the PYP at Brown establishes a strong foundation for your child’s future.