First Day of School Logistics
What to Expect the First Day of School
- Monday, August 20, 2018 – First Day of School. Bell rings 8:55 a.m. Students should be dropped off and picked up on the playground, do not go through the front doors or the front office unless you need to register for school.
- The first day of school is posted on the DPS calendar. On the first morning of the school year, all students should gather on the playground on the east side of the school (ECE students and parents should go directly to their classrooms). Each classroom teacher will have a sign with his/her name and classroom number, and students will gather with their class to be led to their classroom when the bell rings at 8:55 a.m.
- ECE and Kindergarten students are often experiencing a full day of school for the first time. We encourage parents to inquire directly with their child’s teacher about the preferred protocol for a quick and effective drop off during the first day, week and month of school in these classrooms.
- If you have not yet completed registration for your child at Brown International Academy, please go to the front office by entering the doors on the west side of the school. The staff there will help you register and provide you with your student’s classroom location and teacher’s name. You must register your child prior to sending him/her to class.
- At the end of the day, students will be gathered outside of the doors on the playground on the east side of the school – parents are asked to pick up their children there. Please do not pick up your child inside the school because it is disruptive to learning that is occurring in our classrooms.
- Parking for drop-off is available on all streets around the school. Spaces directly in front of the main west-side doors are reserved for buses, so please do not park there. The parking lot at the corner of 26th Avenue and King Street is for Brown faculty and staff only. Parents should not park in this lot on school days, even for the few minutes it takes to drop off or pick up your children. Also, please be mindful of the city’s street sweeping no-parking dates, which vary by street (April-November).
- Kiss & Go is located on the corner of King St. and 26th. Please pull to the front and a staff member will be there to help your child out of the car. Please make sure students are ready to exit through the passenger side.
- Bicycle stands are available to those students who are riding their bikes to school. They are on the east side of the school next to the cafeteria doors and community garden.
- Cafeteria breakfast and lunch (which includes hot menu items and a kid-friendly salad bar) are available at Brown. See the link above for lunch costs, prepaying for multiple lunches, free and reduced information, menus and more. It is helpful to ensure that your child can open his/her lunchbox and the items you’ve packed for them before they start school.
- Please have your child bring a backpack (marked with first and last name) for storing homework, weekly take-home folders, hats/gloves and a lunchbox, if he or she brings lunch to school.
If you have any questions, feel free to call the front office staff at 720-424-9250. See you at Brown!